1/3/13

teenage angst... the meaning of life?

I changed the URL for the diary collective to TeenageDiaryCollective.tumblr.com

hello hello. So far my teenage diary collective is going swimmingly. (check out the original post here). I've already gotten some submissions which is both exciting and encouraging, and people already seem to be enjoying it so yay! Thanks to those of you who have submitted! If you haven't yet don't hesitate to do so! It can be anonymous if it's a personal entry and it's a fun way to spread your diary creativity and such. Feel free to help spread ze word via tweetin or blog postin or tumblrin or somethin.  (hiiiiiiiint). I also found this cool thing where people read their diary entries and it's really awesome and perfect and audible rather than tangible which is incredibly enjoyable and satisfying when you need some aesthetic assistance to your angstiest of days and when that Nirvana song just isn't doing the trick. Teenage Diary is kind of a homage to my love for journals and diaries; they are so mysterious and house so many unspoken secret thoughts, opinions, feelings, and ideas. Diaries are like the other half to a person, the parts of themselves they would never share with or expose to the world. They're like the holy grail of secrets and confessions and feelings and teen angst. 

Even though angst can suck I love feeling angsty purely for the experience of being an angsty teenager and how being in that very state of angst helps enable me to live vicariously through cool people in movies and TV shows, like Ivy (my favorite movie) and Lisa and Paulie. Sometimes being hormonal sucks but other times it's just great because it helps you to achieve the full experience of teendom as well as all its highs and lows, which I treasure, which is weird of me. I feel like being a teenager is the best time ever because of how it's this time to venture into new directions and take risks and be a freak or a geek and laugh too loud and get depressed and scream and shave your head and make out with guys you don't know the name of and spend all night going to random diners and spying on people with your best friend and running through fields yelling the lyrics to some song by Stevie Nicks and starting a band that never ends up rehearsing or performing and redecorating your room a thousand times over, each time to represent the new you that will inevitably change tomorrow. I just love that. I know I'm looking at this in a totally romanticized perspective, because some people are actually clinically depressed which isn't fun for the experience and is actually serious and horrible and not enjoyable in the slightest bit, but other times the roller coaster that is teendom, for me at least, is really exciting and fun even when I feel like crap.


to represent how concerts seem to be a right of passage for life and a huge part of teendom


to represent the importance of journals diaries in the lives of many teens

to represent that fun with friends is timeless

to represent hating society and being independent

to represent having fun at the beach

to represent that fabulosity of paul mccartney

to represent the importance and awesomeness of david bowie in one's life

to represent that slut shaming is wrong and that it's virtually impossible to actually be a slut

11 comments:

  1. I seriously love your new teen diary collective; it's a personal yet engaging take on what teen girls (and boys) journal about and the creativity and angst behind diary entries. Love it!!! Also, David Bowie is definitely important in ones life. Keep posting great stuff!

    Morgan

    www.ee2be.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Ramones and David Bowie! Such an awesome post! That picture of the beach is really cool too!
    ~maren~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a teenager is definitely the best part of your life. I mean,when you are older you will tell the stories of the time of teenagehood and not from your fifties or something, don't you? Being a teenager filled with angst in a romantic way is just amazing. Your description of the whole shit was awesome, by the way.
    Oh, and, in my opinion,teenagehood doesn't work without david bowie. He is the most amazing man EVER.
    Would journal pages also be okay? Like, it is almost a diary? (: I will send you a few pages soon.

    birdiewearsatie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. funnily, i actually agree with your view of teendom and your feelings towards it. because i feel the same way and i always do stuff i want to even if they are stupid. because when else in your life can you afford to make extremely stupid decisions and still be accepted for it?

    i also like your teenage diary collective thing. it's cool, i might submit one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore your 'Teenage Diary Collective'! I love seeing the creativity that is made through the days of angst which we can look back on in kind of a romantic way. Maybe I'll get round to submitting one day.

    Heather :)
    http://aesthetic-junkie-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. everything you wrote down here I could have written myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I really want to submit something now, this is the awesomest idea ever. When I look at the collective I want to cry, but in a cool way.
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  8. What you wrote abut being a teenager makes me sad. Not because I disagree, but because it is so true and I feel like I am missing out because I am too scared. When I am all old, I want to have stories to tell about these days now. But it feels like time is going too fast and I need to hurry up and be all teenagerish.

    O o
    _

    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  9. I went to submit something & it said that the page wasn't found! -Britney

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, nevermind, I found a way to make it work (pressing submit leads you back to the old URL, though).

      Delete
  10. I looove this post. It's spot on. <3

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting! ☀